Marriage Licenses

The Routt County Clerk & Recorder's office is issuing marriage licenses by appointment only. 

For an appointment, please call 970-870-5556.  


In accordance with the requirements below, a license to marry in Colorado may be obtained from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in the Office of the Routt County Clerk and Recorder. The License is valid upon receipt, and must be used within 35 days in the State of Colorado.

The fee is $30.00 as of July 1, 2009. Cash, checks or credit cards are accepted. A license issued by another state is not valid in Colorado.


The age requirements for both parties are the same:
  • 18 and older - No parental consent is required.
  • Younger than 18 - Judicial approval or court order is required - No exceptions.


Valid identification must be furnished by both parties. Example: passport, birth certificate, drivers license, military I.D., etc.

Blood Test

As of July 1, 1989, blood tests are not required for either party in the State of Colorado.


Both parties must complete and sign the marriage application form. At least one of the parties must apply in person before the marriage clerk. If one of the parties cannot appear in person, he or she must complete an affidavit received from our office with their signature notarized. A couple already married, who wish to renew their marriage vows, or those who have a common law marriage may obtain a license by stating that they are married to each other. Applicants for a marriage license need not be Colorado residents.

An online marriage application is also available.

When filling our the online marriage license application, all information for both parties must be complete in one application prior to submittal in order for the information to be received in our office correctly.


Couples themselves may solemnize their own marriage (C.R.S. 14-2-109). Others who can solemnize a marriage are judges, retired judges, magistrates, public officials authorized to perform marriages, or in accordance with any mode of solemnization recognized by a religious denomination or Native American Tribe or Nation. Not everyone can solemnize a marriage. Although the couple may solemnize their own marriage, that does not mean a friend or relative can also solemnize their marriage. Clergy from out-of-state need not be registered in Colorado.
How To Fill Out A Marriage License


The person solemnizing the marriage shall complete the marriage certificate form and forward it to the County Clerk and Recorder within sixty-three days after solemnizing. Any person who fails to forward the marriage certificate to the County Clerk and Recorder's office shall be required to pay a $20 late fee and an additional five dollar late fee may be assessed for each additional day of failure up to a maximum of $50.


Witnesses are not required in the State of Colorado. Some clergy, judge or public official may request them.