Veterans Affairs

routt county veterans of colorado

Monday, October 21

Good morning fellow veterans. 

Your VSO is open today until 12N today, and I am standing by to help you file a claim or an appeal with the VA. One thing I emphasize when dealing with the VA is patience, but don't be too patient. I had two veterans come in last week each saying it had been ten weeks or so since they'd had a VA examination and they still hadn't heard the results. This is too long. If you've waited this long call the VA facility you had the examination at.

All job openings posted below are current. 

Have a good day,

Job Openings

Routt County has a variety of openings. Some are year-round and some are seasonal at the airport. All pay well, tho the seasonal jobs generally do not have benefits. Click here to view the latest county opportunities. 

Here are some other openings: 

Materials Handler: Our friend Tony Weiss, general manager at Ferrell Gas in Steamboat, is looking for help around the yard. Duties include moving and filling propane tanks and you should be able to lift 50 lbs without keeling over. 

Pay is $16/hour and the job is three days a week, Monday, Thursday and Friday, 0800-1700 all three days.

A resume is required. You can drop it off at the office at 2020 13th St in Steamboat, or email it to Tony at tonyweiss at 

Tony's an army vet and is about as veteran friendly an employer as there is. 

If you need help preparing a resume, let me know, I can help you with it. 

Census Worker: The federal government is looking for temporary workers for next year's census. Census taker positions pay $16/hour and mileage and other expenses are reimbursed, of course. 

Now, I talked to a gentleman in the Denver Census Office and he said they are looking to hire vets first and there are/will be openings up here. He also said please be patient, it's the government, so hiring is not instantaneous.

Click here to get started or call 855/JOB-2020. JOB is 562 on the phone

Bus Driver, City of Steamboat Spr: The city is looking for seasonal bus drivers this winter. The job pays $18 an hour, $11.75 during training, and that includes getting your CDL, if you don't already have one. 

Click here for more information. The city will stop accepting applications on Oct. 20

Transportation Security Agent/Supervisor/Lead - Hayden Airport:
The TSA needs agents at the Hayden airport. This is not a bulletin; it's rare when they're not looking for agents. It pays pretty well and they regularly are looking for supervisors, so there is opportunity for advancement. You have to go to Denver to take a test, which I actually did once and failed because my eyes aren't what they used to be. Click here for more information. 

Also, the county is accepting applications for a variety of seasonal positions at the airport. Click here to see what's available.

Financial Assistance For Veterans

Please don't forget about our Veteran Assistance Fund. It is here to help veterans in need in a variety of circumstances. For example, our most recent use is paying a veteran's VA co-pay for his medication. It can also be used for renovations for your home to accommodate your disability or if a veteran is in danger of becoming homeless or otherwise needs help to provide for him/herself or their family.

Note: this is not a county program and is not directly connected to this office, I merely am the contact person for the American Legion and the Lions Club. 

Please, contact me for more information. There is help out there for our fellow veterans who need it. 

Transportation and Mileage Reimbursement

Transportation: If you need transportation to a VA medical appointment, anywhere in the state, we can usually arrange for a driver. Call me as soon as you have an appointment to make arrangements. We have a variety of volunteers and it is rare when we can't find someone. The appointment can be with either the VA or a civilian doctor, as long as the appointment was made by the VA. 

If Someone Drives You: If you have your own driver, we will pay your driver a $51 stipend plus gas reimbursement. Please let me know in advance and, of course, there is a form to fill out.

If You Drive Yourself: We will reimburse your gas purchases. First, fill up when you get to your appointment, then fill up when you get back to town. I cannot emphasize this enough, friends. This program is funded through a state grant and the requirements are pretty specific. All fill-ups must be on the same day as your appointment, too. 

Note: financial hardship is not required for either transportation or gas reimbursement. It is open to all veterans traveling for VA medical appointments, whether they're at the VA or at a private physician. American Legion or VFW membership is not required, either. 

Transitional Housing

I received a phone call from a veteran who had come here from out of town and has been unable to secure a place to stay. 

Unfortunately, there is not any transitional housing here in town. However, there is a program sponsored by Volunteers of America to get veterans and their families into housing. So if you or someone you know does not have a permanent home, or is living in a vehicle or is camping out or in danger of being evicted, Volunteers of America has help. 

The office is in Denver, but you do not to go to Denver to take advantage of it, they will work with you wherever you happen to be. Call them at 720/300-3704

Medical Provider Update

One of the challenges of living up here, a challenge found in all rural areas, is finding civilian medical providers that are approved to provide care to vets. The latest provider to be approved by the VA is Mr Tim Trumble, an acupuncturist and Oriental medicine practitioner in Steamboat. He is a Diplomate of Oriental Medicine and has been practicing in town since 2004. His office is at 419 Oak St, his number is 819-0569 and you can visit his website here

Now, it is important to note that as with any medical provider, you simply cannot receive treatment and send the bill to the VA. They won't pay it. You must have a referral from the VA, and Mr Trumble is the latest VA-approved provider in the area. 

Free Dental Care for Veterans

Steamboat Springs dentist Dr Jim McCreight is providing free, need-based dental care to Routt County veterans. Dr McCreight, himself a veteran of the US Navy, will provide these services with his wife Wendy, also a dentist, in their Steamboat office.

The service is for veterans who do not have health insurance or the resources to pay cash for their dental care. Services are provided on Fridays, an appointment is required and you may call the office directly at 879-4703. 

MISSION Act Update (6/21)

The MISSION Act was rolled earlier this month and so far I haven't read about any major glitches. it's designed to give us vets the care we need when and where we need it and should be a marked improvement for us. 

The two biggest provisions involve making it easier for us to get care from civilian providers, important up here in remote areas, and there is also a new urgent care benefit. 

Here are the qualifications for both:

Community Care

The VA is making it easier to get see local, civilian doctors. To take advantage of this the veteran must:

  • be enrolled in VA health care, or have disability rating that does not require enrollment
  • have a referral from the VA. We can't simply make an appointment and tell them to bill the VA
  • The doctor must be enrolled with the VA

The Community Care program will expedite veterans getting care when the VA is unable to provide a service or when, like most reading this, we live more than 40 miles from a VA hospital. Utilizing Community Care is not mandatory and vets who prefer their own VA doctor can still use them, but this will be an excellent way for vets in rural areas like Routt County to get care in a more timely and efficient manner. 

Urgent Care Benefit
Included in the MISSION Act is a benefit allowing us to use urgent care facilities. 

Here are the requirements:

  • Not only must you be enrolled in VA healthcare, but you must have used the benefit within the past two years.
  • Eligibility will be verified before treatment is given. The facility will know how to do this. 
  • The urgent care facility must be signed up with the VA. Right now there aren't any local facilities signed up, but we expect that to change. Click here to find eligible facilities. 
  • The veteran must receive covered services. Because people's medical needs are different, the VA is not detailing specific services that are and are not covered, except to say preventive and dental services are excluded, as is treatment of chronic conditions. 

Usually a copay is involved, generally about $30, and the VA will bill you for it. You do not pay anything at the facility. The benefit can be used any number of times. 

More Information

A big part of the MISSION Act, like anything concerning you and the VA, is knowledge, and a really useful brochure on the MISSION Act can be read by clicking here. You can print a copy of it, of course, though if you stop by the office I'd be happy to print one for you. As always, if you have any questions, call or stop in. 

Welcome to the VA Brochure (6/12)

Friends, the VA has a pretty useful brochure available on getting started with them. You can download it by clicking here. It's a PDF and, of course, you can print it out. 

I would be happy to print one out for you, though. Stop by anytime. It won't take a minute. 

The Smoking Lamp Is Out (6/12)

Smoking lamp is a phrase old sailors will recognize. If it was lighted, you could smoke, it it was out, you couldn't. And even if it was lighted, sometimes you to ask permission from a senior watch stander and if the compartment was rigged for black or red you had to say "bright light, watch your eyes" before you lit up. 

Beginning later this year, the smoking lamp will be out at all VA medical facilities. Gone will be the designated smoking areas. The start date was not immediately clear, tho the VA hopes to have it fully implemented by October. 

If you are a vet looking to quit smoking, click here for some VA resources. 

Benefit Spotlight:

VA Medical Care For Veterans Without A Service-Connected Disability

Some are surprised to learn the VA also provides medical care to vets without a disability rating. It is not free and costs, very reasonable, depend on your income level. 

It's useful because there are no monthly premiums and it's there even if you change jobs or relocate. I use it and am pleased with it. 

Of course, there is a form to fill out and approval is not instantaneous and it will require a trip to Grand Junction for your initial physical. After that, service are provided at the teleclinic in Craig. 

Click here for information and to apply.

Benefit Spotlight:
Lifetime National Park Access For Service Connected Rated Vets

Veterans with a service connected rating of at least 10% are eligible for free Lifetime National Parks Access Pass. 

The pass is good for the vet and three others in the vet's vehicle and the vet and three adults where per-person fees are charged. It is not good for multiple vehicles in a vet's party.  

There are two ways to get your lifetime pass: 

1) In person at a national park. You will need an ID, of course, and documentation of disability rating, such as a VA awards letter or a VA ID card that notes your disability or something similar. A receipt showing your Social Security disability award is good, too. Your pass will be issued immediately. 

2) Apply by mail. It takes a couple of months and costs $10, so it's more convenient to do it when you arrive at the national park, but if you want to apply by mail, click here

This isn't too bad a benefit, so don't be shy about taking advantage of it. 

Benefit Spotlight: Our Burial Benefits (5/17)

The VA provides a variety of benefits for us and our families after we've died. There are certain active duty service requirements - generally 24 months - and eligibility requires something other than a dishonorable discharge.

Benefits include burial or internment at a VA cemetery and includes a headstone or marker, burial flag and a Presidential Memorial Certificate, all at no charge to a veteran's family. Certain family members are also authorized to be buried at a national cemetery, as well. The VA also provides a flat-rate burial allowance under certain circumstances. Reservists are eligible under certain circumstances, too, though they generally had to have died on active duty or have to be receiving, or would would have been entitled to receive at age 60, retirement pay. 

An exception to this is burial at Arlington National Cemetery, which is generally reserved for those killed in the line of duty and those who won the Purple Heart or another medal for valor. 

More details can be found by clicking here.  

Something To Know: Requesting Records From VA (5/15)

If all you need to do is request records from the VA, like your DD-214, click here. It's a VA website that makes the process rather easy. 

Of course, if you'd rather have me help you do it, that's why I'm here. Please call for an appointment, or stop by. - gk

Something To Know: The Veteran's Crisis Line (5/10)

Fellow vet's,

If you are in crisis and are having thoughts of suicide there is help available, 24 hours a day from the VA, with trained professionals waiting to help. 

No military service is easy and some leaves scars that simply do not go away and an average of 22 vets a day kill themselves. We don't want this to be you. 

There are three ways to reach the Veteran's Crisis Line: 
800/273-8255, press 1
send message to 838255

Something To Know: Online Help Exploring Your VA Benefits (5/8/19)

Friends, click here for a VA website that provides an excellent resource for exploring the benefits we've earned serving our country. It includes information on disability benefits, education and training benefits, and employment services, among others.

You can even apply online, though if you are not comfortable with that, please, come and see me. It's what I'm here for. 

A Reminder

If this is your first time filing a claim with the VA, please bring your DD-214 and be prepared to sign a power of attorney (POA) so I can act on your behalf. (That is all the POA allows me to do, act on your behalf. I can't access your bank account or do anything else.) Having these items will make things go smoother for us.

We do not have to file a complete claim on your first visit. We can file what's known as an Intent To File, which reserves your date of claim - the date which benefits are paid from - and gives you a year to file a completed claim. I am here to help you with all of this, at no cost to you.

Something To Know: Your VA Mortgage Benefit (5/1/19)

I haven't been on the job all that long, but already I've had a couple of questions about our VA mortgage benefit. It's a valuable and useful tool when buying a home. 

One thing to note is the VA does not lend you the money. It does, though, guarantee a portion of the loan, which will lead some lenders to offer more favorable terms, such as concessions on closing costs. It also allows you to buy with no down payment, which can be a significant barrier to new homeowners.

The benefit does not expire and can be used multiple times. You were given a form when you were discharged or resigned your commission or warrant detailing this benefit, though if you don't have this form your lender can get it.

It's a government program, so there are restrictions and whatnot, but any veteran purchasing a home will do well to consider using this benefit. My wife and I used for our purchase in 2014 and it made things a lot smoother. 

Click here (it's a VA website) for more information. 

Something To Know: Blue Water Sailors (4/29/19)

The Court of Appeals for the Fed Circuit (FedCir) recently ruled that Blue Water Sailors who served within 12 nautical miles (a bit more than 13-and-a-half land miles) of the Vietnamese coast are entitled to the same presumption of Agent Orange exposure that Brown Water Sailors are. 

If you were a blue water sailor who served within 12 nautical miles of the Vietnam coast, and you want to file a claim, or have a claim pending or already denied, please come to talk to me so we can discuss your options. 

Services Provided

I can help with the following. 

  • Filing VA claims and appeals
  • Healthcare enrollment
  • Nursing home care
  • Disability compensation
  • Pension
  • Education and training
  • Vocational rehabilitation and employment
  • Home loan guarantees
  • Life insurance
  • Burial benefits, headstones and markers
  • Survivor benefits
  • Replacement of military records, medals and awards
  • Employment Assistance

The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation.
George Washington

Join Us on Facebook

Routt County Veterans on Facebook

American Legion and VFW Posts in Routt County

For information pertaining to the American Legion and VFW posts in Routt County please see new website for more information: